Tuesday, August 23, 2011

23 Things 2.0 Learning Thing 1

My. name is Mr. Smidt. I am a school librarian working for two libraries in one school district.  I work for District OR-1 Public School, which are Bennet Elementary School and Palmyra Jr-Sr High School in Nebraska. I ran across cpd23 originally in an e-mail from the Nebraska Library Commission.

I am joining this community of learners for multiple reasons.  I want to learn more about different types of social networking.  When you work in small communities any way you can reach out to your students or patrons in the community it is a bonus.  I want to continue to learn more about cutting edge technology.  I feel this is very important for librarians, as we are the keepers of valuable information for students.  I feel like I have lacked and even let my students down in this area.  I am hoping to gain new ideas to share with high school students in presentations I give every three weeks, give them something new to try and learn on their own and be able to ask me questions.I would also like to pass along some of these ideas to member of the staff so that they can utilize some of these aspects within their classrooms.

One area I want to improve on is Twitter.  I have an account and keep up with other librarians and celebrities, but I've had an account for over a year and have tweeted 24 times. One of my strengths is some of the Google Apps, like calendar and docs.  I keep computer lab schedules in both schools along with my schedule as well, and I'm one of the few Google Docs "experts" in my school districts, I do most of my work for the school district through it. I know I'm getting in the game fairly late, but I feel confident I can catch up and feel this is something I can truly benefit from.

No comments: