Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Thing 7: Face-to-face networks and professional organizations

When I was in  college I joined a group called ACEI (Association of Childhood Education International) and went to an International conference in San Antonio, Texas where a group of my college friends in the education department presented on different countries and how education was having an impact at the time. I also presented to a group of leaders in the organization about how to start a group at the college level. I was a member of the Student Education Association of Nebraska in college as well.
 
Right now, I am a member of school district’s association, a member of the National Education Association and the Nebraska State Education Association.  I currently have no library memberships, however I get information from  NEMA (Nebraska Educational Media Association) and have been considering joining the Nebraska Library Association. What I should have done was joined when I was in grad school (I’m still kicking myself for this two years after the fact). I would like to join a national organization as well, ALA or AASL. Determining factor for not joining: cost.  I have other things I need to take care of first, my family, a new house, purchasing a water softener, barn being built this fall. Some of that read this will be thinking excuses, excuses. This setting is teaching me that I need to take my profession more seriously, so I will post if I join any new organizations between now and the end of our program.

No comments: