Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Thing 8: Google Calendar

Since our school district uses iGoogle for our e-mail, I decided last school year to infuse Google Calendar with some of the things we do at school.  My primary focus for the elementary school was to get my schedule out to them, about the times I had classes and the times I was free to help them or their students with questions they may have. For the Jr.-Sr. high school, I went a little deeper and created calendars that the staff could look at for computer lab reservation times.  We now have a Google Form that teachers fill out and submit, and my para and I check it and then we have full access to these calendars along with the technology director and make the edits needed.  We are still fielding e-mails, and I hope to have that eliminated by the end of September. I do keep my personal calendar on it as well, setting it to private and I usually list those items as an all day event with the times in the titles.  I have my book club meeting times, my quiz bowl meeting times, the FCA meetings listed as well, along with our district calendar as well. I find it very easy to use, once you understand how to use it.  Is there a better calendar application out there? Probably, but I’m not going to fix something that works for our school district.

No comments: