Friday, August 26, 2011

Thing 4: Current awareness - Twitter, RSS and Pushnote

Of the items in Thing 4, I like Twitter the best, followed by RSS and then Pushnote.  I enjoy Twitter becasue it’s short, sweet and to the point, plus sometimes people need to be crafty with only 140 characters. I had a Twitter account before I started this activity and I follow a lot of different people and organizations in the library world.  People like Steven Abrams, Joyce Valenza, Kathy Schrock, Jody O’ Connell, writers Maya Angelou, Scott Westerfield, JK Rowling, Anne Rice, and various groups like ALA, YALSA, AASL, VOYA, and of course friends and celebrities. All of the names listed above are just some of the information I can get from these people/organizations just by looking at what they tweet.  For current awareness, ALA and AASL are great resources to use. On my RSS feeds, I like the Annoyed Librarian, and the NCompass feed I get from the Nebraska Library Commission. I’m just starting with Pushnote, for me this is the new kid on the block.  I’m not sure how I can fully use it, but the more I use it, the more comfortable I will become with it.

No comments: